Monday, April 13, 2015

Royal Date by Sariah Wilson

My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Goodreads Summary
This Cinderella didn’t plan on a prince . . .

Kat MacTaggart is a girl who has a plan for everything—including her holiday ski trip to Monterra with her best friend. Everything is going according to plan until she finds herself careening out of control down a mountainside and being rescued by a guy who looks like Superman’s hotter Italian cousin.

HRH Prince Nico is intrigued by the woman he saved on the slopes and her refusal to date him. He offers Kat a deal—let him show her his country and he’ll pay her to write articles that will help Monterra’s tourism industry. Kat agrees, but given her past and lingering distrust of men, she has one condition—absolutely no kissing.

Thanks to the claims of a jealous British noblewoman and the schemes of a meddling paparazzo, Kat’s rule doesn’t seem to be a problem at first. But the more Kat gets to know Nico and the people around him, the harder it is to remember her keep-your-distance plan. Should she stick to it or risk everything for a chance at happily ever after?

My Review
I love fairytales, I love princes, I love realistic characters, I love true love, and of course I love humor and wit! Who, in their right mind wouldn’t? Let me just say, right off the bat, that this book had all of that and more!

I was in the mood for something light and fluffy, and had bought this book on sale a week before and really wanted to read it, so I read it. And did not regret it! This book captured me from the first conversation. Let me explain. The book started out with a perfect conversation between studious college student Katarina and Prince Nico (I love their names), and I loved it! It might have been the most entertaining first conversation I’ve ever read between two characters! Then, it just kept getting better!

I loved the characters. Kat was so true to herself and realistic. She had a tough life, but she didn’t let it get her down. It made her into the planning, self reliant, capable, kind person she became. In fact it made her more determined to be a better person and help others, and I really respected her for that. Her will was strong, and she really had a special kindness and strength. Thank goodness for her friend, Lemon, or she might not have even stayed in wonderful Monterra (I need to visit there, by the way)! Nico, Nico, Nico! What a prince - and totally swoony! He was so - I don’t even know where to begin - sweet, handsome, princely, and persistent. Their chemistry was palpable, and I rooted for them the whole time. There was so much wit, sarcasm, sweet and swoony scenes, and real conversation and feelings.

There was so much more to this book than the (clean) swoon worthy romance though! This book dealt with some tough issues, realistically and in a way that wasn’t overwhelming, adding a whole beautiful depth that I just wasn’t expecting. I liked the family aspect - and that Nico’s large family combated Kat’s lack of family, and both of their family issues. I really loved Nico’s family, they were so charming and real, and altogether likeable!

I appreciated that Royal Date avoided many of the ever present cliches typical in these kind of stories (book or movie). The prince’s family was kind and genuine and not against Kat at all. There was no previously arranged marriage, or marriage pressure. Some of the problems that would usually be blown way out of proportion were dealt with by a trust in each other and common sense. There was depth and issues, just not the cliches!

WARNING: Despite the description, there are plenty of swoon worthy kisses! It’s clean! You will most likely find yourself smiling uncontrollably! You will laugh out loud, and you might even giggle! It’s highly probable that you will have to add another book to your reread list. Girlish romance dreams and expectations may arise from hidden depths. You might wish to name your new fish Katerina and Nico.
Just kidding. Kind of!

Seriously, I could go on and on, but then I'd spoil everything and you really just need to read this book for yourself!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments! I will reply to all comments that make a reply form in my mind, so if you have a question, comment, or something to say, feel free to do so!